My childhood was spent in India. I was born and raised in New Delhi, and lived there for 15 years of my life. Like everybody, there are days when nostalgia consumes me and I sit back, staring at something blankly, reminiscing the old times. In particular, I fondly recall watching Mahabharat and other shows on the Doordarshan channel. I remember, everyone in my house would gather around the TV every sunday morning and watch the show. That was a time when not a single soul could be seen around in the streets of India, no matter which city it was - everyone would be huddled in their homes watching Mahabharat. Those were the days when Doordarshan (DD1) was the only channel available to watch. Eventually, satellite channels came to India. After that, Indian television was never the same. Today, the Indian television is filled with meaningless soaps (some of which I will admit to watching). The "olden golden" stuff that I grew up with, was just lost with time. Or so I thought.
Today evening, as I was out on a walk, I found myself humming a tune from one those old music videos that used to be aired on Doordarshan - Mile Sur Mera Tumhara, and, Baje Sargam Har Taraf Se. As soon as I came back home, I Youtube'd it and listened peacefully. Those videos made me VERY nostalgic. I missed home. On the right hand corner of the Youtube page, one can usually see the "related videos"... and this time, the Doordarshan signature montage video, and old Indian television ads appeared in the section. Among others, something else caught my eyes - a cartoon type video called - Ek chidiya. I clicked on it and it started playing. Oh My God! I remembered everything - the tune, the picturizations, and bits and pieces of the lyrics! As a kid, I used to be super fond of this video! I was ecstatic and literally cried after watching this video!
Awww! My eyes are still filled with tears as I write this post. As soon as I finished watching the video, I dashed to my mom with my laptop and showed her the same. She too, was smiling, as the video played. Oh God. I never, ever, everrrrrrrr thought I would get a chance to hear or see this again. Doordarshan stopped airing these videos after 1992, I think. But I am tooo tooo tooooo happy to see them again now. Thank you, Youtube!
This post does not end here... I feel compelled to say something more. These videos should not merely be treated as a vintage treasure for reviving faded memories. I believe that these videos convey some very important messages, which are disappearing into the abyss these days - "United we stand, divided we fall". Could this be more pertinent to India today? With the constant terrorist attacks happening in our country, aren't we in need of this now more than ever? I think the Indian government and Indian television should widely promote and air these videos and songs again. These are tough times, and they call for unity, understanding and compassion. Messages about unity and oneness - "anekta mein ekta", are huge ideas that can still be conveyed with simplicity to people through such small films and projects, without being commercialized and enhanced. It is my sincere hope that we soon start seeing these videos and short films on Indian television channels, rather than on the internet alone. Jai Hind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Aparna, I share the same feelings.
In fact thanks to youtube and few resourceful people who had archived these old videos, advertisements and some of the serials, we get to see them.
Some 5 years back, I desperately searched for "Mile sur mera tumhara" and "Ek titli" in vain. Jai Youtube ;-)
Hey Aparna,
I sooo like the 'Mile sur mera tumhara' wala video as well...I thnk all of us who gre up in the late 80's early 90's like it...and in case ur wondering this is Divya...'m in the PI community and we have a couple oof common friends :)
Hi Divya,
Thank you for your comments on my entry! It was a pleasant surprise to hear from you! Long time, eh?...
anyhow, yes u are right... its that nostalgia relating to childhood... those were the days when there was only Doordarshan to watch, and this pleasant song was aired from time to time... how can anyone who grew up in the late 80s and early 90s forget it? :) This song is truly evergreen!
Post a Comment